1.25.2011

It's my pine in a box

My brother always gives me really generous Christmas gifts, and they are normally at least a month late. Hey, that's how he rolls, and I don't ever expect anything, so imagine my surprise when I received the following in the mail. Among a cute scarf, and some nice candles and lotions, there was a tiny little box. It was marked "seed kit". Now, I don't know if this was an impulse buy that by coincidence turned out to be the perfect gift, or if he somehow found out about my sproutrageous-ness. But in either case, this little seed kit is prepared in order to plant a Ponderosa pine tree! How amazing is that? If I can get this to sprout and grow successfully, my brother better have himself some kids for me to pass it down to, because this tree with outlive us all. So we opened up the kit, and inside were some seeds, and a pot with a funny "magic pellet" inside. Supposedly, all you do is add water, and the magic pellet turns into peat. As it normally goes, things did not work out so easily. But eventually, after experimenting with different temperatures of water and containers for the peat pot, we got it going. Then we simply planted the seeds, and now we wait. According to the box, since it is winter, it should take about 8 weeks to obtain a sprout. Once that happens, we should get a larger pot, fill it with soil, and plant the peat pot in there directly. Adam made me promise that he can bonsai this little pine tree. It should turn out to be one cute sprout baby/baby tree!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment