9.24.2011

Mountain Apple, City Apple


A couple of weeks ago, our friends Justin and Amy came to visit from Tennessee. We had so much fun experiencing all the beautiful beaches and hikes that Hawaii has to offer. One morning we went up to Manoa Falls to experience some of the jungle. Along the hike, we saw incredible plant growth--really, it was overgrowth. Right at the falls, I noticed a mountain apple tree. We were joking about how I don't know much about plants, but I seem to know about all the edible ones. After looking more closely at the area around the tree, I observed some seeds that had fallen and sprouted! I carried back two sprouts, carefully shrouded in leaves and mud to protect them on the ride home.

I planted the seed in a small container, and kept it very wet and shaded. I thought that perhaps it was a lost cause when after a week or so there was no apparent growth. However, patience paid off in this case: the shell eventually split open and a sprout emerged!

The other seed taken from the hike has split in two, reveling a green core. I believe there is a green root down in the soil, though the sprout has yet to rise from the top of that one. In any case, looks like we are going to have a "city apple" tree soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment