2.07.2011

waiting for forever

Does anyone remember back in September that I blogged about finally managing to sprout an avocado? Well, the story of how that ended up is a little bit sad. After trying for months to sprout an avocado seed, I enthusiastically placed the sprout outside in a nice big pot that was purchased especially for the occasion. Imagine my surprise when after just a couple of days, a squirrel dug up my beautiful seed and attacked it viciously! There was no chance to save it, as it was cracked in half completely.

Although the setback was quite depressing, I did not give up! For the last half year period, I prepared every avocado I ate--which ended up numbering quite a few! The fact that it was winter, and therefore cold and dry even around the house, did not help my cause, I suspect. However, Adam had the bright idea to put a seed in the bathroom, at least every time someone took a shower.

Low and behold, I have finally attained another sprout! I planted the seed and taproot into the soil, and after a week or two, the sprout emerged from the top. From what I understand, my most difficult days are behind me, and now the tree should grow easily and quickly. This one is staying inside, away from pesky squirrels and other animals, at least until it is much more mature. It is growing rapidly: it is already a few inches higher than in the picture. Of course, it can be 20 years until I get an avocado fruit, but for me, it was all about the sprout!

No comments:

Post a Comment